Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I had a weeks holiday last week and we decided to go away for a few days.
So, we booked to got to the Commodor hotel in Sandbay,which is about 5 miles from Western-super-mare.
We went for 3 days and it was a lovely break.
We love western and often go there for a day out, so we were looking forward to it.
The hotel was lovely and the food was delicious, although to be truthful we did eat out a couple of nights.
We arrived on saturday and went for a carvery in the hotel that night, and it was delicious I must admit.
Sunday we went for a chinese meal and we did so enjoy that!
Monday we went for an Indian meal and we do so enjoy that!
Tuesday, after a lovely breakfast we came home.
When we go away, we have a lovely neighbour who feeds snowdrop for us.
Everything was fine and we even popped down to Oxford on sunday to see the family.
When we came back snowdrop was fine and we gave her 2 chews that she loves, but she only ate one.
We thought it was strange, as she loves her food, but thought no more of it.
I got up monday morning and gave her her breakfast, but she only ate half of it. I went to work and she seemed fine.
When i got home about 2pm monday afternoon, geoff says he didn't think snowdrop was very well. I must admit I hadn't realised as I hadn't been home very long and was feeling tired.
However, we both noticed that her breathing wasn't quite right,by that I mean she was breathing very fast and although she wasn't actually panting there was something wrong.
I rang the vet and made an appointment for that afternoon.
Off we went and as soon as we walked in the vet, Murray, took her off us and listened to her heart,he said he wasn't happy with it and he was examining her everywhere but she didn't flinch which proved she wasn't in pain. He then took her temperature and that was normal.
We could not work out what was wrong with her and he kept asking us questions. When was the last time she had eaten,has she been sick.
No, was the answer to that.
He even asked us if it was possible she had been run over.
We know she hadn't been.
Anyway, he checked her teeth and gums and said they were pale and quite blue.
He said he wanted to keep her in hospital overnight to x-ray her and take blood tests this we agreed to willingly.
It was most peculiar to go home without her but we knew she was in good hands.
I rang the vets this morning and he said he was quite please with her and the x-ray was fine but still waiting for the blood tests results and he thinks she had had an asthma attack, although she is only about 4 years old and quite young to have this as it usually happens to older cats.
We felt better hearing that and said we would ring later to see how she is then.
We did ring about 6pm but unfortunately, she had deteriorated. Her breathing was fast and irregular and she was fighting for breath.
He was very kind but also honest with us and said he will keep her in hospital tonight as she is too ill to come home and hopes that she will be better tomorrow.
But he did warn us it could be tragic.
We can only wait now and see what happens.
I pray she gets through this.


Bernard said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about this, especially after you had that lovely break. Life does sometimes seem to be all 'ups' and 'downs'. :(
I'm on a bit of a 'down' with Hazel at the moment, but she his nearly nineteen, so to be expected.
I will keep my fingers crossed for both you and Snowdrop.
Best wishes...Bernard.

Sage said...

Oh no poor snowdrop and more so for you and geoff who love her so much.. keeping my fingers crossed for a much loved cat xx