Monday, January 28, 2008

I haven't really got any hobbies as such, but the one thing I love doing is going around graveyards.
The reason for this is, it's a good way of doing a family history. You can follow a families history by looking at the graveyard.
Often, in older graveyards they are usually buried in one big grave. You therefore have the name and dates of the whole family.In order of their deaths. It also says how they died, either through illnesses or accidental deaths and how many mothers lost their lives giving birth, and it's very upsetting to realise how many children died when they were only a few weeks or months old. This is probably what they now call a 'Cot death'.
They did not have the medical knowledge we have now.

Anyway, I saw this in a magazine and I must admit I have never seen anything like this on any gravestones I have read.

So for a laugh I thought I would print these:

"Here lies the body of Anna,
done to death by a banana,
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low,
but the skin of the thing that laid her low."

"Here lies the body of Jonathan Blake,
stepped on the gas instead of the brake."

"Harry Edsel Smith,
looked up the elevator shaft to see if the car
was on the way down.
It was."

"Here lies the father of 29,
he would have had more,
but he didn't have time."

"Jedediah Goodwin"
Auctioneer.
born 1828
Going!
Going!!
Gone!!!
1876

"Stranger tread this ground,
with gravity,
Dentist Brown is filling his
last cavity."

Sir John Strange:
"Here lies an honest lawyer,
and that is strange."

"beneath this stone, a limp of clay,
lies stingy Jimmy Wyatt,
who died one morning, just at 10,
and saved a dinner by it."

"Owen Moore,
gone away,
owin' more,
than he can pay."

"I was somebody,
who,
is no business
of yours."

"Here lies nell Bun,
who was slain by a gun,
Her name was not Bun
but Wood,
but Wood
wouldn't rhyme with Gun,
but Bun would."

"Dear sister,
Here lies the body of Mary Ford,
we hope her soul is with the Lord,
But if for Hell she's changed this life,
better live there than as J Ford's wife."

"Here lies Johnny Yeast,
pardon me for not rising."

"here lies the body of
Detlof Swenson,
Waiter.
God finally caught his eye."
10 April 1902

Mary Weary.
Housewife.
"Dear friends,
I am going where washing ain't done,
or cooking and sewing.
Don't mourn for me now,
or weep for me never,
For I go to do nothing,
forever and ever."

All these epitaphs are from real graves!!!

1 comment:

Mrs Bee said...

It really makes me wonder where people get this creativity from!!!

Hope you're well...