Tuesday, September 01, 2009

It's been a while since I blogged and I did say that everything was fine with geoff and to be truthful it is,
But what I forgot to tell you was that I was on hols for 2 weeks from August 17th - 1st september (today). My hols actually finished on friday the 28th August but because of the bank holiday I've had a couple of extra days.
We haven't been away but we have had trips out. We went to Western-super-mare and worcester which was lovely, but the best was thursday 27th August when we went to wales.
When i asked what part of wales geoff said it was a surprised. I was abit taken aback by this,but didn't ask anymore. Any part of wales will do.
We were going to go on wednesday but when I got up and saw the terrible weather I suggested to geoff we leave it till thursday and see what the weather was like. So glad we did. it was lovely. So, off we went.
We left home at about 8.15 a.m. (it nearly killed geoff getting up that early!!!) and we headed for the M5. Followed that for a while and then we went on the M50 heading towards Ross-on-Wye. We then went on the A40 for miles and miles until we reached Monmouth and turned onto the A449. Ater all that we turned onto the M4 and drove to Swansea. What a lovely place.
Reaching our destination after about 2 and a half hours we decided we were hungry so we stopped at the first place we came too and had some breakfast.
It was a lovely little place, and a full breakfast was only £2.99 each. Not a bad price at all.
After breakfast we drove into swansea and we were very pleasantly surprised. It was very nice,clean, and a larger town than what we thought it would be. We walked around for about an hour and we were both tired so we went back to the car and decided to go another place. Now geoff had already worked out where we were going actually, it was a surprise for me.He knew I always wanted to go to the Mumbles.
I am so useless with maps. I didn't even realize we were anywhere near mumbles! I think we just get in the car and go, I never work out the map or anything. Geoff does that and I don't even think of it!!!
In fact the laugh was when we got in the car to go geoff gave me the map and asked me to check the route he was going. I was doing fine until I turned the page and saw swansea.
"Oh, geoff, I was hoping we would go to the mumbles" I said.
"Annette, we have to go to swansea to get to the mumbles." Geoff said.
OH!

We arrived at mumbles and we parked the car at the pier and went for a coffee.
Enjoyed that and then we went for a walk around the pier. That took about 5 minutes because it was a lot smaller than what I thought it was. But we enjoyed it.
Walking around mumbles was lovely. It really was nice, clean and quiet. That may sound a little strange, to say quiet, but it was. You never heard a sound, Both geoff and I said about that.
We loved looking around the shops and believe it or not we didn't actually buy anything. You know what it's like, you usually buy something don't you? It wasn't because there wasn't anything to buy, there was, that was the problem we could have brought loads. So we didn't!

After about an hour we went back to the car and decided to make our way back. So looking at the map geoff asked if I would like to go over the black mountains I immediately said yes. I love doing that. However, because it had rained all day the day before the roads would have been dreadful and geoff was worried we would get stuck somewhere and not be able to get help.
So, after a while we decided to go back on the A4067 up to Brecon.
Off we went through all the little villages, Pontardawe,Climaengwyn, Abercral and Defynnog, which we loved to see, and we even passed Oyster castle (where dickiebo works) I don't think that is the proper name but I did recognize it.
I would have loved to have stopped to have a look but we just didn't have the time. Which was a shame.
Reaching brecon we stopped to have coffee and we had a walk round there, again it was a lovely place.
After stretching our legs we went back to the car and headed for Hay-on-wye.
It's a long drive but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Going through all the villages and small towns.
We then headed towards Hereford and back to worcester.
We got home at about 7.00p.m. and of course, we had a take-away.
I must say it was a very enjoyable day and finishing it off with a take-away and a glass of wine was perfect.

We were shattered but really enjoyed the day and so glad I finally got to go to the mumbles.
Must do that again.

5 comments:

Sage said...

Glad you both are ok, will admit to having worried because you were quiet on the blog front. Love that you both had a day out in the Mumbles, shame you and dickiebo couldn't have met up for a coffee but perhaps another time xx

Annette said...

yes, I would have loved that.
But just didn't have time to arrange it.
shame really.

dickiebo said...

Did you see the blue plaque on the wall outside our house? lol.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Loved Wales too but still sore about a parking ticket!

Hogdayafternoon said...

Don't worry Annette, I know lots of women who are great drivers.... until you give them a map, then they'd struggle to find their way out of a car park. I blame Baden-Powell for not letting them join the scouts until they cornered him and asked nicely to include them (100 years ago yesterday, 5th Sept)