Thursday, August 09, 2007

It's not often I come across an advert that I actually like but I must admit that there is one I love to watch.
It's an advert for a VW Golf car, but it has something that other adverts haven't.

The music for a start:
"Oh, yes I'm the great pretender."

It's playing in the background as the advert is shown.

There is a young, handsome man, always the life and soul of the party, even at work. Laughing and joking with everybody as if he hasn't got a care in the world.Everybody's friend.

Then you see him at home eating a chinese takeaway, and he's looking very sad and lonely.
This is a bit of a shock as it does not go with his profile.
The next day you see him drive to a hotel, he gets out of his car in his usual flippant way and throws his car keys to the doorman, again, laughing as if he is the happiest man around, and then:

shock, horror,

He sees his dream car being driven by another young man,the camera turns and looks at the mans face...suddenly his smile has gone and he looks very sad.
He's so dissappointed because he hasn't got that particular car! You can see and feel the sadness in his face.
The music is still playing......"Oh yes, I'm the great pretender......."

It is a brilliant advert..
Is there one you particulary like?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the advert, Annette but I love The Platters. Is it their version that's played?
That really does take me back. Hong Kong 1956!

TotallyUn-Pc said...

aahhhh you've just reminded me of Freddie again!

Annette said...

Dickiebo:
Yes, I think it is the platters.

Annette said...

TUPC:
Freddie?
Do you mean Farrokha Bulsara?